Sunday 8th January - King Tor

I was out early to drive across to the other side of Dartmoor to Shapley Tor car parks - a short distance before the cattle grid as you drive off the moor on the road to Moretonhampstead. There was really thick fog on the way up to Princetown but as is so often the case the fog was lifting the further east I went.  By the time I had got to the car park most of the fog had gone but there was just a little left as the sun came up. This walk was a reccee for the walk on Tuesday.

I headed up to Hookney Tor as the fog re-appeared and went again.

From Hookney Tor I went over towards King Tor. This is one of the post put in place to deter gliders landing during the war. Amazing they are still here.
As I got to King's Burrow this was the view - you can see the twin granite stacks of Haytor Rocks emerging from the morning mis on the left and Rippon Tor on the right. This zoomed in quite a bit as Hay Tor is just over 4 miles away.  A spectacular sight. 

Even more zoomed in.

The weather remained changeable with a rainbow appearing - caused I think not by the sun shining through rain but through an atmosphere of fog and mist.

The view from King Tor - Easdon Tor is on the left.

Then it was down to Heathercombe to pick up the Mariners Way back out through Moor Gate. Over countless stiles and gates.

This old caravan is at Moor Gate and in a much worse state than when I was last there.

No comments:

Post a Comment