Tuesday 4th November High Willhayes

The forecast for my walk today was for sunshine and heavy showers, in the event I had that and more and continually changing lighting conditions.

I set off from the car park at Meldon Reservoir. Lots of bright sunshine at the start and the reservoir was surprisingly full.

I followed the path around the east side of the reservoir and here you can see Sourton Tors in the distance.

 I went around  Velake Corner to follow the West Okement River past the weir and on to...

...Black-a-Tor Copse.

The view upstream.

Eventually Lints Tor came into view.

The wide open river valley.

I started to climb to Lints Tor and got this view looking back down the valley. The wind was from that direction and those storm clouds were soon to come over.

Lints Tor with Fur Tor in the distance just before the weather closed in. I met two walkers this point who were doing the same walk is me but the other way round.

 On to Dinger Tor with High Willhayes in the distance.

As I got to the top the weather closed in completely and the spectacular views you can get from this point were not there. The highest point in England south of the Lake District.

Whilst this is the highest point on Dartmoor the tor itself is fairly insignificant.
 Just for a change a selfie on the top!

 Of course, I had to wander over to Yes Tor before starting to go down.....

...it wasn't long before the cloud and rain started to clear.

Finally I was back at the starting point with the weather once again similar to how it had been at the beginning of the walk.

6 comments:

  1. Nice photos. Having run up Pen Y Fan I've got to say it's a bit higher than High Willhays and well south of the Lake District!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! I should have read that more carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great walk and series of pictures Michael. Looks as if you had about the same weather as us, but we weren't so high!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an OS benchmark on High Willhays which I suppose is the highest in England south of the Lakes

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinder Scout and Bleaklow in the Peak District could edge it, though....

    ReplyDelete