Saturday 3rd August Standon Hill

Starting at Lane End - a recce to an area most of which I am not familiar with. Walking back down the lane to this point where the footpath starts....

...along and down this track with Standon Hill in the distance.

To the footbridge over the River Tavy...
...and this has got to be the longest footbridge on Dartmoor.
















Believe it or not there is a footpath through this area of ferns...

...eventually the open moor - Standon Hill is ahead and is actually much steeper than  it looks in the photograph.

On the way up and there is this view across Tavy Cleave with Tavy Cleave Tors in the middle and Hare Tor on the right.

In the opposite direction is Bagga Tor and White Tor.

Past this group of foals.

Halfway up and this is the view looking back down.

Eventually the range huts on top of the hill come into view - I don't remember ever being on this hill before.  Always good to find a new bit of moor.

The rock at the top of the hill.  But, this is not called a tor and is not in my list of Dartmoor Tors!  Why not?  It looks more like a tor than some of the tors I have visited. Anyhow I have decided -  this  will be known as this as Standon Hill Tor from now on!


In the distance about two miles away is Fur Tor on the left and a bit futher away on the right is Cut Hill.

Across the valley is Lynch Tor - my next destination - but I am not going there directly - no point giving up all that height only to go back up again.

I head off towards Fur Tor to the ridge line past the herd of cows.

On the ridge line I turn right for Lynch Tor - on the right of the photo.

Lynch Tor White Tor and Cox Tor in the distance.

Bagga Tor below.

Hare, Sharp and Great Links Tors on the right.

Time to head down again.

Standon Hill on my right.

Back down to the River Tavy to the stepping stones.



From here back up to the original track at the start.  A lovely sunny warm morning but just as I got back to the car it started to rain and as I got in the car it came became torrential.  I was very lucky to miss it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment